Coin a phrase...

Do you love playing with language? Join me in creating new phrases, metaphors, words, similes, slogans, etc. Periodically, I'll post a tired old phrase and you send me a fresh, new phrase that has the 'same' meaning. Or, I'll send you a description that begs for a new word and you send me a possible new word. Who knows? Maybe your new phrase or word will catch on. Maybe the phrase you coin will bring you fame and coin!

Name:
Location: central Massachusetts

I have been a elementary school teacher and a computer programmer. Now I am a doctoral student in cognitive science studying the brainwaves of the 'aha' moment and how two concepts combine to make a new concept. Experiencing the 'aha' moment gives me a sense of wonder and awe. As long as I can remember I have always been trying to feel that wonder and awe so I constantly try to think 'outside the box' and see 'more than is there.' My puzzles and stories reflect this.

Friday, January 14, 2005

"Thorn in my side"

Let's get started!

"You are a thorn in my side." This is a common metaphor.

Create a new one that has about the same meaning.

For example:
"You are the mosquito in my tent."
"You are the virus in my computer."
"You are the rock in my sock."

Create your own and let me know.

My ten favorite responses. Of course, my judgment is extremely subjective. The important test is whether any of these start to be used in actual speech. Let me know if you hear this happen.

"a nail in my tail" (Fiona)
"the choke in my artichoke" (Amy)
"the Potter in my Bedford Falls" (Harry)
"the rage in my road" (Harry & Amy)
"the spam in my inbox" (Harry)
"the horn in my hide" (Max)
"the jab in my flab" (Max)
"the ants in my pantry" (Janet)
"the 'B' in my movie" (CCC)
"the drip in my faucet"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"a nail in my tail" (Fiona O.)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"You are the fly in my soup." (Amy)
"You are the wart on my toe." (Amy)
"You are the choke in my artichoke." (Amy)
"You are the liver in my ice cream." (Harry)
"You are the alarm clock at 3AM." (Amy)
"You are the dead battery in my car." (Amy)
"You are the crumbs in my keyboard." (Harry)
"You are the ink spot on my khakis." (Amy)
"You are the Potter in my Bedford Falls." (Harry)
"You are the clog in my commode." (Harry & Amy)
"You are the gum in my hair." (Amy)
"You are the sand in my eyes." (Amy)
"You are the spinach in my teeth." (Amy)
"You are the scum in my pond." (Harry)
"You are the rage in my road." (Amy & Harry)
"You are the worm in my apple." (Amy)
"You are the F on my test." (Harry)
"You are the bugs in my bed." (Harry)
"You are the spam in my inbox." (Harry)

(This is too fun! Seacrest OUT!)

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goop in my soup (Ian)
goo on my shoe (Ian)

(going for the rhyme)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

(A different Janet here)

You are the ants in my pantry.

(A deeply meaningful phrase to me at the moment.)

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the roach in my cupboard.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a hole in my screen.
You are a weed in my garden.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Ian "Max" Eyre said...

forok in my intestine

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the "B" to my movie (CCC)

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are the drip in my faucet

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home