Coin a phrase...

Do you love playing with language? Join me in creating new phrases, metaphors, words, similes, slogans, etc. Periodically, I'll post a tired old phrase and you send me a fresh, new phrase that has the 'same' meaning. Or, I'll send you a description that begs for a new word and you send me a possible new word. Who knows? Maybe your new phrase or word will catch on. Maybe the phrase you coin will bring you fame and coin!

Name:
Location: central Massachusetts

I have been a elementary school teacher and a computer programmer. Now I am a doctoral student in cognitive science studying the brainwaves of the 'aha' moment and how two concepts combine to make a new concept. Experiencing the 'aha' moment gives me a sense of wonder and awe. As long as I can remember I have always been trying to feel that wonder and awe so I constantly try to think 'outside the box' and see 'more than is there.' My puzzles and stories reflect this.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Blended Words

Did you know that the word 'chortle' is a blend between 'chuckle' and 'snort'? And that it was created by Lewis Carroll?

Did you remember that 'smog' is a blend of 'smoke' and 'fog'?

'Ginormous' is a new word that seems to be catching on these days. It is a blend of 'gigantic' and 'enormous.'

These are called portmanteau words. A portmanteau is a large travelling case made of two parts connected by a hinge. So, a portmanteau word is formed by linking, or blending, two or more words.

There are good lists of portmanteau words at the following websites:
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/portmant.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau

Create a new blended word and send it in as a comment.
(If you know of an old blended word that is not listed at the websites above, send that in also but please indicate that it is an old word.)

Please send your comments in the following form:
(new or old) term - definition & a sample sentence

Examples:
(new) strawcherry - a flavor combining strawberry and cherry
"Have you tasted the new strawcherry ice cream?"

(new) taxpert - an expert in taxes
"I used to have a guy do my taxes but TurboTax is now my taxpert."

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(old) Gogurt - (brand name) portable yogurt, yogurt on the go
(old) Yo-J - (brand name) a smooth drink that blends yougurt and orange juice (OJ)

(I've been shopping recently.)

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(new to me) axpert - an expert with an ax

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(old) strappleberry - (brand name) The name blends 'apple' and 'strawberry'. The actual gum also has pear flavor added in.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(new) oldier - an old soldier
"I went to the veteran's hospital to see my grandfather. He's an oldier."

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(new) landwich - blend of 'land' and 'sandwich' - When one land mass (or tectonic plate) slides over the top of another, it forms a landwich.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(recent) fluorange - blend of 'fluorescent' and 'orange'
"The sunset was spectacular! It was fluorange!"

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(recent) rabbitat - a rabbit's habitat

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(recent) coldrums - 'cold' and 'doldrums'
"During the bleak winter when I'm trapped inside, I start to get the coldrums."

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(new) snowski - a Polish skier

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(old) appletizer - 'apple' + 'appetizer' (brand name) an apple juice drink, also comes in sparkling grape

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(recent) lunaversary - 'luna' (for month) + 'anniversary' - the number of months since a special occasion
"We're celebrating the 4th lunaversary of our first date."

(I thought my wife invented this word but when I did a google search, I found that someone had already created it.)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(new) underbare - no underwear
"I thought my child had dressed himself well, but I checked and he was wearing underbare."

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snibble - a combination of scrap and nibble.
"Pick up the snibbles of paper," my mother said.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spraint short version of spray-paint

i.e. He did a good job sprainting my van.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home